Many elderly people above the age of 50 years and pregnant women are likely to suffer from varicose veins. Let us understand the causes and the treatment of this disease which affects women more than men.
What are varicose veins and what are its symptoms?
Abnormally large veins appear in close proximity to the skin’s surface. They are mainly due to weakened walls of the veins and due to improper functioning of valves that regulate blood flow. Varicose veins can cause pain,heaviness,tingling and burning sensation. They give an ugly look to the affected part of the body due to their bulky appearance.
Causes of varicose veins
- Hereditary factors
- Overweight individuals are more prone to the disease
- Use of oral contraceptives
- Hormonal changes due to pregnancy and menopause
Varicose veins treatment
- Olive oil:Proper blood circulation is an important factor in the treatment of varicose veins. Combine olive oil with few drops of vitamin E oil. Warm this mixture and gently massage the affected area daily for atleast two months.
- Garlic: Garlic not only improves circulation, but also helps in removing toxins from our body and reduces inflammation. Mix chopped garlic, fresh orange juice and olive oil. Keep the mixture in a glass jar for 12 hours. Massage gently the affected area with this mixture and leave it overnight. Follow this treatment for two months.
- Apple cider vinegar: This solution removes toxins from the body and helps in improving circulation. Apple cider vinegar also helps in reducing inflammation. You can massage undiluted apple cider vinegar to the affected area twice daily for few months. You can also mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and have this mixture daily.
- Cayenne Pepper: The vitamin C and the bioflavonoid in Cayenne pepper helps in improving blood circulation and also helps in giving relief from the pain. Boil water and add one teaspoon of cayenne pepper and mix well. Have this mixture thrice daily for two months.
- Pot Marigold: This flower helps in reducing inflammation and pain. Pot marigold also helps in improving the texture of the skin. Boil petals of the flower in water. Soak a clean cloth in this infusion and place it on the affected area. You can alternatively add petals of the flower to warm water and soak your body in this water for few minutes.
- Horse Chestnut: The seeds of horse chestnut help in reducing inflammation and also prevent swelling. One can take horse chestnut supplements or you can apply horse chestnut gel to the affected area. Never consume raw horse chestnut. Use this remedy under medical guidance
Some useful tips
- If varicose veins are in the initial stage, you can make use of compression garments. They apply gentle consistent pressure on the veins and prevent the condition from deteriorating further.
- An increase in homocysteine levels can cause varicose veins. Deficiency of vitamins like vitamin B complexes can result in an increase in the homocysteine levels. Therefore, make sure that you eat food which is rich in vitamin B. Include chicken, tuna, sunflower seeds, bananas, broccoli, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc in your diet
- Make sure that you eat anti-inflammatory foods like garlic,green leafy vegetables,ginger,turmeric,tomatoes etc as they will help in giving relief from the pain and inflammation
- Lead an active and healthy life. A sedentary lifestyle can aggravate the problem. Make sure that you go for a walk and exercise on a regular basis and avoid smoking and alcohol.
These home remedies are useful for treating varicose veins.If the condition deteriorates, seek medical advice. There are medical and surgical treatments available for varicose veins.