Bone Tumors Real Stories

Bone Tumors: Real Stories

Real stories are personal stories shared by members of the DIYHealth community. These are stories of hope and triumph over a medical condition, inspiring us to stay the course.

Top Real Stories

1. My happy days are back

I noticed a swelling on my leg, but ignored it thinking I must have bumped my leg somewhere. When the swelling didn’t go away I went to my doctor, who also treated it like a normal swelling and gave me the appropriate medication. The swelling was still there and I decided to go to a specialist. One look at the X-ray and he told me the horrible news: I had Osteosarcoma. After more scans, MRIs and blood work, I was told that my leg had to be amputated. Nothing could have been worse than hearing this and I lost all hope. After the operation, I underwent chemotherapy for six months. However, over a period of time I recovered and started seeing life in a new perspective. I found my soul mate a few years later and I am a happily married woman today.

2. May god always be with my son

At four years old, I never thought my son could ever suffer from such a horrific disease as bone cancer. It all began when his home teacher called home one day to inform me that my son was holding the telephone with his arm in a strange way. I just couldn’t understand at first, but nevertheless took him to the hospital straightaway. The radiologist was quick to spot the tumor and we were lucky enough (I now firmly believe) that the diagnosis was made within two weeks. My son went through an intensive chemotherapy program and it was beyond nightmarish to see my child lose not only his hair but all also his fingernails and toenails. The chemo was effective, but we had to make the difficult decision of amputation to improve his chances of survival. Six years on, my son has completely recovered and although his disability irritates him sometimes, he knows it was necessary for him and that there is life after cancer.

3. My small contribution

I was in my mid-twenties, working as a primary school teacher, living with my boyfriend and having the time of my life until I was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma. My life turned upside down. It started with pain in my knees, which I had thought to be the result of extensive running I was doing in preparation for the upcoming marathon. When it continued to get worse and started giving me sleepless nights, I knew this was not just other muscle pull or sprain and that something was very wrong. The specialist took an X-ray and even as I was prepared to hear the worst, hearing the word tumor just made my mind and body go numb. I couldn’t think right and was in a daze. Luckily, my boyfriend and my parents were there by my side and helped me get through the treatment. I have finished 13 cycles of chemotherapy and surgery to remove the tumor from the bone. I also got a portion of my knee bone replaced with an artificial metal bone. Although there is still some pain and discomfort, I am hoping it will go away with physiotherapy. I am very passionate about raising awareness and funds for cancer charities and am doing all what I can towards this cause. 

4. Positive attitude helps

I was a normal boy, a teenager, and loved playing different sports and enjoyed the outdoors. As I entered adulthood, I knew what I had to do with my life, and had my career goal set to becoming an RAF pilot when my world suddenly fell apart. I started feeling discomfort in my right knee, like a tightening. I ignored it at first and continued to lead an active lifestyle, but it got worse. The discomfort turned to sharp stabs of pain and then one day I just couldn’t handle the pain any more. That’s when I decided to go to a specialist who confirmed after a few scans and a biopsy that I had Osteosarcoma. I went through horrible chemotherapy sessions and lost count of the number of operations I had on my leg. But, my family and friends were so loving and caring; they helped me get over my treatment easily. Now I have a near perfect leg, can walk with a stick, and also fly an airplane. Though not an RAF pilot, I work as an Air Traffic Controller and a private pilot. I have a fantastic family life and am in good shape. 

5. It came as a surprise to me

I had just started college, and was looking forward to exploring the new world ahead of me. After a few weeks into college, my right shoulder began to ache a lot, especially while driving. I first attributed it to stress and excessive use of computer. But, the pain was not bearable. I decided to consult my GP and was put on painkillers. One day, while I was in the swimming pool, I suddenly lost all strength in my right arm and also felt my shoulder dislocate. My GP immediately referred me to a specialist who diagnosed me with bone cancer after several scans, X-rays, and biopsy. I was devastated. I underwent six cycles of chemotherapy, but the tumor didn’t shrink very much, which meant some portion of my humerus had to be replaced by an artificial metal bone. Although it was very difficult at first and I had to put my hand in a sling, the physiotherapy helped me a lot. Now, I can do most of the things I used to do before and I am quite fit physically.

Today's Top Articles:

Scroll to Top