Bi-polar disorder are those, which are marked by a sudden mood swing. In a moment, the affected person would feel low and in another moment, he would feel high. There is an imbalance in the emotional stability, which accentuates randomness in emotions. Its effects are reflected in varying patterns of behavior of an individual. Therefore, such individuals often take resort to mood swing managing tablets to stabilize their emotions. Bipolar disorder has best been cured by the mood stabilizers and these mood stabilizers come in different varieties to treat different or combined symptoms of behavioral disorders. The categories include anti-psychotics, anti-anxiety, anti-convulsants etc.
The principal kinds of drugs to cure the bipolar disorder are :
1. Lithium drugs are best for mania’s
Lithium drugs are perhaps the best, when it comes to treating the ailments causing mania. In fact these drugs are also effective in curing hypomania. Experts have said that Lithium possesses this amazing quality of working against mania and hypomania. Various literary reviews have also suggested that lithium is perhaps the only truest mood stabilizer. The best characteristic of a lithium drug is that it works through all the phases of the bipolar disorder treatment. The main characteristic of lithium users is a higher drop out ratio of possessing suicidal tendencies.
2. Anti-epileptic drugs treat seizure disorders
The anti-epileptic drugs also knows an anti-convulsants were developed to treat seizure disorders. These drugs help to cure high and lows of mood swings in a person. The key elements that cure these disorders are valporic acid(depakote) and carbamazepine, which also work well to treat mania along with stabilizing the mood of the person, suffering from seizure disorders.
3. Anti-psychotic drugs for long term mood stabilization
Anti-psychotic drugs are often used for mood stabilization, and it can also maintain stabilized mood for a longer period of time. Anti-psychotics are also used to lower the symptoms of mania.
4. Calcium channel blockers like verapamil for pregnant women
Calcium channel blockers are used for women who are pregnant and these drugs are considered far safer than the others like lithium or any other anti-convulsants. The most famous calcium channel blocker is verapamil; which after a study in over 37 women, was found to have a 94% response rate fighting mania.
5. Anti-anxiety drugs for quick relief
Anti-anxiety drugs are used to provide a quick relief to person suffering from great anxiety and depression. One such drug is that of benzodiapines. These drugs control the nervous system and are usually the nervous system depressants. These drugs work by producing and inducing sedation, which puts a person to sleep by relieving the anxiety levels, muscle spasms. This further controls to prevent seizures. These drugs are a true help to the hyper active mania patients as they are able to restore their normal sleep by taking these drugs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does the anti-convulsants cause any side effects?
The side effects of anti-convulsants vary according to each anti-convulsants consumed. However, the sides effects can include dizziness, fatigue, tremors, rashes, or weight gain. Many anti-convulsants may cause problems in the liver in long term.
2. Does anti-convulsants interfere with other normally taken drugs?
Anti-convulsants are believed to interfere with drugs like aspirin, and can cause serious problems. Do not take this combination without consulting your doctor.
3. Does anti-psychotic drugs cause any side effect related to physical movement?
Yes, anti-psychotic drugs can cause side effects that relate to physical movement such as muscle spasms, restlessness, rigidity and tremors.
4. What ailments can the long consumption of valporic acid(depakote) cause in women?
In women, too much of valporic acid over a long period of time can cause an increase in testosterone levels which produces polycystic ovary syndrome .
Facts to remember
1. Long usage of anti-psychotic drugs can lead to a condition called TD i.e. tardive dyskinesia. This symptom often causes movements in the body that a person can’t control
2. Lithium can cause several side effects like loss of co-ordination, frequent urination, seizures, changes in vision, varying heart beat, itching, swelling in the face, eyes, feet, lower legs etc.
3. Valporic acids causes side effects like change in weight, nausea, abdomen pain, vomiting, anorexia and loss of appetite.