Vitamin C is considered as one of the most important nutrients. It is widely used in dietary supplements. Regular consumption of Vitamin C can increase your immunity. It can prevent health problems like hypertension, cold, weight gain, cataracts, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, asthma etc. However, there are many myths associated with Vitamin C and skin health. Some people believe that it contains some hazardous qualities that will destroy your skin and make you look old. Many cosmetic products contain Vitamin C for skin health. It’s a vital ingredient in many cosmetics. But it works for some and doesn’t work for others. Here, we will separate the myths from facts and give you a clear insight of the importance of Vitamin C for skin health.
- Antioxidant: The antioxidant properties along with L-absorbic acid of Vitamin C makes it an important ingredient for skin health. It protects the body from the destructive free radicals.
- Sun protection: Vitamin C is known to protect the skin from harmful effect of sun rays. It is also effective in keeping environmental pollution, ultraviolet radiation and smoke away from the skin. Vitamin C can also reduce sun burns and decrease the chances of skin cancer due to long term exposure to sun.
- Collagen: Collagen is an important molecule that tones the skin and rejuvenate it from the roots by reducing the fine lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging. Collagen is produced Vitamin C’s ability to develop hydroxyproline and hydroxylysine.
- Fixes damage tissues: Vitamin C also replaces the damaged tissues in the skin and helps in quick healing of wounds. Deficiency of Vitamin C would lead to scarring and slow healing of wounds. On the contrary, better consumption of Vitamin C will increase skin elasticity and assist in quick recovery of damaged tissues.
- Skin Discolouration: Another way in which Vitamin C improves skin health is by protecting the DNA from photochemical reactions that can cause skin discolouration. Proper use of the nutrient can tackle the factors that are responsible for skin discolouration and that lead to tumor and skin cancer.
- Improves skin texture: The collagen also augments skin health with Vitamin C. It structures the blood vessels that carries oxygen and nutrients to the body. So, it assists in keeping the skin healthy. The deficiency of Vitamin C can result in rough and dry skin. Applying cream with Vitamin C ingredients can improve your skin texture as it promotes elasticity that protects and heals skill cells. This helps the skin in retaining its moisture content and in performing skin circulation.