A viral infection of the liver, which can cause liver failure and also cancer of the liver, is known as hepatitis B. Hepatitis B causes inflammation of the liver. It spreads through sexual contact, blood transfusion, infected needles or syringe, infected razor and exchange of other body fluids. In order to prevent hepatitis B, always maintain a proper hygiene and see to it that you never reuse a syringe and razor and never make a sexual contact with a completely unknown person. Some of the symptoms of hepatitis B are flu like condition, weight loss, depression and autoimmune disease. There are certain alternative medicines which are used in the treatment of hepatitis B but use them as an added treatment and do consult your doctor for its proper dosage and prescription.
Top Alternative Medicines
1. Calendine (Chelidonium majus)
This herb is generally found in Europe and Asia. Roots, herb and juice extract of the plant has numerous medicinal properties and health benefits. This herb is native of poppy family and has a slightly bitter taste. This herb helps in promoting better liver secretions and is beneficial in treating inflammation and congestion of the liver, which is the main symptom of hepatitis B but do consult your doctor to avoid any side effect and drug interaction. This herb has uterine stimulants, so avoid taking it during pregnancy.
2. Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
Licorice herb, is used for the treatment of various diseases including hepatitis B, both in the eastern and western countries. This herb belongs to the family of legumes and is sweet in taste. The root of licorice plant is a natural source of treatment for hepatitis B and its medicinal properties protects the liver and the liver cells from damaging further. It also promotes the liver function and is effective for curing chronic hepatitis B. These yellow color roots is sweet in taste but avoid its usage if you have high blood pressure and hypertension and do not use it for a long period of time unless prescribed.
3. Milk thistle (Silybum marianum)
Milk thistle, belongs to Mediterranean region and is found throughout the world. This herb belongs to the aster family is slightly bitter in taste. The seed of this plant is used in the treatment of hepatitis B, as it helps in restoring the condition of the liver tissue. It also helps to treat acute form of hepatitis and protects the liver from toxic drugs, pollutants and chemicals. Leaves, flowers and roots of milk thistle are also beneficial for the treatment. Do consult your doctor for other side effects.
4. Phyllanthus (Phyllanthus amarus or P. urinaria)
Phyllanthus herb, is an Ayurvedic treatment used for the treatment of hepatitis B. A dose of pyllanthus taken for 30 days is helpful in curing a person of hepatitis B. This herbal medicine blocks the action of enzymes which breed the virus of hepatitis B. Its anti-viral properties helps in detoxifying and promoting liver function. The leaves and extract of its fruit aids in the treatment of hepatitis B and the weed of phyllanthus has also been proven highly beneficial for decreasing the level of the disease.
5. Schisandra (Schisandra chinensis)
As the name suggests, this Chinese medicine has several health benefits. Schisandra, is a shrub which is found in East Asia and has a combination of sour, salty, bitter and sweet taste. The fruit of this shrub possess a nutritive antioxidant astringent which is adaptive in nature and treats hepatitis B by promoting a healthy liver function. Consult your doctor before you use this shrub to treat hepatitis B.
Dandelion is an Arabic and Chinese natural medicine, useful in the proper functioning of liver. This herb is diuretic in nature and it helps in detoxifying the liver. The taraxacin compound, present in dandelion stimulates the liver and gallbladder and helps in secreting more bile so that the food can be easily digested in the body and the liver functions smoothly. The leaves of this herb can be cooked or eaten raw. The tea concoction prepared from the dried dandelion leaves and roots have a therapeutic effect for hepatitis B.
7. Zinc tablets and liver extracts
Zinc, supports the immune function of the body and aids in supporting the patients of hepatitis B.The imbalance of zinc and copper proportions are viewed in the patients of Hepatitis B . If the proportion of copper is higher than the zinc in the body then it can result in damaging of liver. Copper can get deposited on the wall of liver cells, oxidizing and tarnishing it, so a proper intake if zinc will help to replace copper from the cells. Take 500 to 1,000 milligrams of liver extracts for about 3 to 6 months to lower liver enzyme levels and regain normalcy of liver functions.
8. Multivitamin, vitamin C and vitamin E supplements
- Multivitamin is high in mineral count and is important for a patient of hepatitis B as this viral infection makes the immune system weak and the essential nutrients present in multivitamin capsules help in a better functioning of the body’s system.
- Vitamin C has lot of antiviral properties and is also helpful in sustenance of a strong immune system. A dose of 1,000 mg of vitamin C everyday is recommended for the patient of hepatitis B.
- Vitamin E protects the liver from getting damaged and is also beneficial for the immunity level of the body. a dose of 800 mg of vitamin E complex is recommended for a patient of hepatitis B.
Homeopathy is also a beneficial alternative method to treat hepatitis B but homeopathy is a long procedure and one has to follow lot of do’s and dont’s if one is taking homeopathy.
- Take homeopathy medicine Lycopodium if Hepatitis B is accompanied by conditions like indigestion, flatulence and pain in the right side of abdominal area.
- China, a homeopathic medicine is recommended if you have a sensitive liver condition during hepatitis B.
- Homeopathic medicine Cardus Maranus should be taken for the inflammation of liver and if the symptoms pertaining to the disease worsen.