While varicose veins may cause a cosmetic annoyance for some, others experience painful symptoms. Thankfully, there’s treatment that can help. Learn more about the causes of varicose veins including how to prevent them and the treatments available to get rid of painful varicose veins for good.
What are varicose veins?
Varicose veins are enlarged, swollen veins protruding from underneath your skin, often a dark purple or blue color. It’s estimated that 60% of the population suffer from this vein disorder with the majority of patients being women.
Varicose veins don’t only affect cosmetic appearance, they can cause painful symptoms including:
- Burning, tingling, or throbbing sensations
- Night cramps and swollen legs, especially around the ankles
- Tired, heavy, and restless sensations in the legs
- Rashes and itching around problem veins
What causes varicose veins?
Blood vessels can enlarge due to poor circulation and sitting or standing for long periods of time. Age can be a contributing factor as your blood vessels become less elastic and the valves designed to keep blood from running backward become loose or weakened. Blood then leaks to the leg and ankle tissues resulting in swelling and large veins.
Varicose veins are common in pregnant women or overweight patients due to increased pressure on the legs. Genetics may also be to blame. If you have a family member with varicose veins, you may be more likely to get them as well.
Varicose vein prevention & home remedies
You can’t change your genetics, but you can take preventive measures to reduce varicose veins from forming. Consider these prevention tips:
- Stay healthy and active – Maintain a healthy weight to reduce pressure on your legs. Go for a walk or run to keep your blood circulating and your muscles strong.
- Avoid crossing your legs – Sitting for long periods of time and crossing your legs can lead to poor circulation and varicose veins. Take breaks and avoid crossing your legs each time you sit down.
- Consider your wardrobe – Avoid wearing tight clothes or hosiery around your legs, groin, or waist which can reduce blood flow. Choose low heeled shoes over high heels for better vein health.
- Elevate your legs – Elevate your legs above your heart for improved circulation. Do this a couple times a day by lying down and resting your legs on three or four pillows.
Varicose veins treatment
Today, varicose veins are easily treatable in clinics, thanks to current technology. Patients receive a series of laser vein treatments in the affected veins during a procedure that is usually less than 30 minutes.
These new procedures are safe and patients don’t experience downtime from work or tasks at home. Painful symptoms and visual signs of varicose veins can be gone for good. All you need to do is finding a good clinic that provides safe and effective varicose veins treatment. It’s even better to call them today if you want speedy solution to your varicose veins problem.
Article Submitted By Community Writer